Our experience shows us that social interaction is really important in later life. Keeping active and engaged is one of the best ways to live well so we aim to create a friendly, social environment at Wellcross Grange that enriches the lives of all our residents and promotes wellbeing.
We have full-time Activities Organisers, who use their energy, ideas and considerable experience to deliver a lively programme which takes into account residents individual interests and abilities. They like to involve families in the activities, where ever possible, which the residents really appreciate. Most people thoroughly enjoy taking part in our activities, events and entertainment, and always have the choice to do as much (or as little) as they wish.
The social care programme on offer is varied, interesting and enjoyable, chosen by our residents and tailored to their needs and wishes. Whatever your particular interests, we’re certain there will be something that appeals to you. The long list of activities includes themed lunches, arts and crafts sessions, games and quizzes, making Christmas and other decorations, movement to music, picnics, Pets as Therapy visits, ball games, flower arranging, card making, baking, charity events, hand massage, cooking and tasting sessions. We welcome guest entertainers too who provide singing and musical recitals, magic shows and various productions. We can arrange shopping trips to Horsham or the local garden centre, and outings to local places of interest. And we take full advantage of the gardens and enjoy blackberry picking, feeding the ducks and bulb planting.
Whenever possible, we try to get outside and take full advantage of the beautiful gardens. We also welcome guest entertainers who provide singing and musical recitals and various shows. We can arrange shopping trips to the local pub, garden centre and outings to local places of interest.
Typical Events and Activities at Wellcross Grange
- Religious service and study
- Dog therapy with resident therapy dog Grizelda
- Discussion groups
- Flower arranging
- Memory Lane group
- Music & Movement
- Poetry reading and book discussion
- Themed lunches
- Musical productions
- Hairdressing and beauty care
- Current affairs discussion group
- Educational and cultural events
- Spring Fayre
- Easter themed lunch
- Musical entertainment, followed by buffet supper
- Latin dance group, followed by buffet supper
- Musical performance
- Cream Tea garden party
- Come Dancing
- Halloween themed lunch and fancy dress
- Music concert, followed by buffet supper
- Christmas tree decorating
- Christmas Bazaar
- Christmas party with entertainer and Music
- Hand bells
- Nightingale singers
- Latin American Christmas dancing show
- Baptist Nativity play and Christmas carols
- Christmas cocktail party
- Mince pies and sherry with Father Christmas giving presents
Music and Memory
Here's some footage of our Music and Memory activity, when caring for people living with dementia. This particular example is from our Sister nursing home, Maplehurst in Haywards Heath but is indicative of the activities we provide across our family of nursing homes. The video is best viewed in full screen, which you can do using the expand icon in the Vimeo player.
- Very high standard of nursing and a wonderfully happy atmosphere throughout. Food – he was overfaced with too much food, although the content was very good. He thought, aged 95 he needed small amounts of light meals. It took six months to get this across to the chef!